Pre 1965

Pre 1965

PAF heroes form a galaxy of dedicated men who have expanded their lives in the service of Pakistan Air Force, each leaving behind the best of himself, and adding yet another measure to the courage and honour poured into its foundations by those before him; that endless cavalcade of men who look back with swelling pride and say, ' I was in the Pakistan Air  Force'

 

The PAF on Air Alert - 1947

One of the first tasks of the newly formed Pakistan Air Force was to continue the policing of the North-West Frontier region. The painting shows a scramble by No. 5 Squadron Tempest IIs from inside the historical Miran Shah Fort.

 

Trainer of the Aces - 22 Sept 1947, Risalpur

A Tiger Moth was the first primary trainer to take to the air from the newly-established PAF Flying Training School (now PAF Academy), Risalpur, a month after Pakistan came into existence. The painting shows Flight Lieutenant M Khyber Khan, the Flying Instructor and his student, Flight Cadet Akhtar, airborne on the morning of 22 September 1947 from Risalpur.

 

Harvard at the Alma Mater - Feb 1952

For twenty-five years the PAF's new pilots learned to fly in various models of the Harvard trainer. Shown here is one of the Harvard's and its starting battery cart, against the early post-Independence setting of the PAF's Flying Training School at Risalpur, the forerunner of the modern Air Academy of today.

 

Flight Lines Inspection - March, 1948

Wing Commander M. A. Rahman, the Commander of the RPAF station Peshawar, takes a morning inspection round of the flight line.The world War II style side car provided a convenient vehicle from it was convenient to supervise activities, such as the loading of armaments shown here.The Hawker Tempest Mark 2 (red propeller spinner) belonged to the newly formed No. 9 Squadron, while the blue spinner Tempest was from No. 5 Squadron.

 

Dakota - 1947

Among the earliest equipment of the Pakistan Air Force, when it came into existence in 1947 after partition, were the few Douglas C-47 Dakotas transferred from the former Royal Indian Air Force. These were used to start the crucial Valley Flights to Pakistani Outposts in Azad Kashmir. Dakota retired from the PAF in 1955.

 

 

Viking - 1947

In 1947, a Vickers Viking joined the inventory of two Douglas Dakotas and two Harvard's of the newly independent Pakistan's first communications flight at Mauripur (Masroor) airfield. The Viking was used exclusively for travelling by Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the first Governor General of Pakistan. The aircraft is now preserved in the PAF Museum in honored memory of the Father of the Nation.

 

Tempests on Air Patrol - 1948, Kashmir

Tempest IIs patrolled in the northern area during first Kashmir War. The aircraft were in the original camouflage, as they were recieved from India in 1947.The aircraft are still carrying the two victory stripes painted by the British after the Second World War.

 

Battle Field Support - 14th April, 1948

During Kashmir Operations, Flight Lieutenant Khyber Khan landed on an unprepared surface at Gilgit to deliver first heavy mortar to liberation force.

 

Jahanzeb Over Peshawar - 9 Jul, 1949

The Wali of Swat, Honorary General Abdul Vudood, was an enthusiastic supporter of the PAF. On 9 July 1949 the Wali contributed (the cost of) a Hawker Fury fighter for the newly independent country's Air Force. To commemorate the occasion a brand new Fury, in its distinctive silver livery bore the Swati crown prince's name. Operational requirements later forced Jahanzeb also to be painted over in the camouflage scheme carried by the Furies.

 

SedBerg Glider Takes Off - 2 Sep ,1949

To introduce the young nation's youth to the joy of flying, glider pilot training was introduced through the "Shaheen Air Troops", established at Karachi on 2 September 1949. On 22 July 1950, Governor General Khawaja Nazimuddin awarded the Glider Flying Badges (Wings) to the first group of student piolts.

 

The Albatross - Jul ,1954

Grumman SA-16A Albatross amphibians were a part of the Search and Rescue Flight at Drigh Road (now Faisal) Air Base, Karachi in the mid-1950s. The aircraft were also used for coastal patrol and maritime reconnaissance during the 1965 War. One of their more important tasks was to keep a sharp look-out for the Indian Navy aircraft carrier 'Vikrant' whose entry into the area would have added a new and far more menacing dimension to the air war in the south.

 

Sikorsky H-19D - 1950's

In the mid-1950s, the PAF received 8 H-19Ds under the US assistance agreement, for the establishment of Search and Rescue (SAR) Flights at certain PAF Bases. This also marked the beginning of 'chopper' operations in the PAF, and in Pakistan as a whole. The last H-19D was phased out of the PAF in 1971.

 

Supply Drop Halifax - 1948, Kashmir

The newly acquired Handley Page Halifax bombers of No. 12 Squadron carried out supply drop missions in support of the troops during first Kashmir war in 1948.

 

A Pioneer Proves His Mettle - 4th Nov, 1948

Flying Officer Dogar after an air supply paradrop near Skardu, daringly refused to obey two IAF Tempests and escaped to safety avoiding their cannon fire.

 

Furies Scramble at Miranshah - 1950s

The newly formed RPAF was tasked for policing the North Western Frontier region. For the purpose, Tempest IIs of No 5 Squadron were based at MiranShah.

 

PAF Enters Jet Age - Aug, 1951

Attackers-the PAF's first jet fighters- arrived from England in August '51 and were allotted to No. 11 Squadron. Although designed primarly as a ship-borne machine, the Attacker was also produced in a land version, offering the nautical advantage of short take-off and landing characteristics, with a heavy load of bombs and rockets. Despite some teething problems, this first-generation jet fighter was soon mastered by PAF pilots and was used quite effectively. The aircraft also participated in fire-power displays on many occasions but never saw combat. It was phased out in 1958. The artist shows an Attacker overtaking a fury during a simulated interception.

 

Furies Over Buri Ganga - Mar, 1954

In March 1954 , Furies of No. 14 Squadron flew from Peshawar to Dhaka in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) on a training flight. The painting shows the Furies passing over the river Buri Ganga (Old Ganges) that flows by the capital city .Few of the pilots could not have then foreseen that their squadron, re-equipped with F-86s, was destined to make Dhaka its home for seven years (1964-1971).

Courageously fighting two wars from its Tejgaon Air Base in 1965 and 1971 - and outnumbered 10:1 in both - this squadron added glorious chapters to its history by destroying 20 enemy aircraft .

The Squadron emblem, a black scimitar , painted near the canopy, still adorns the F-7s that No.14 Squadron flies today.

 

Flood Relief Operations - July 1954

During the early 1950s, the PAF purchased 81 Bristol Freighters transport aircrafts. The Freighters were lumbering and noisy, but useful. They undertook an extensive range of transport and communications tasks in Pakistan for more than 10 years. The painting shows relief goods being unloaded at Chittagong airfield. The Freighters were phased out in 1966 and replaced by the C-130s.

 

LockHeed T-33A - 1955

Standard advanced trainer in the PAF since the first 15 were delivered in 1955-56 to replace the Tempests and Furies of No.2 (Fighter Conversion) Squadron at Mauripur, the Lockheed T-33A was also pressed into service in ground-attack roles against forward area Indian targets in 1965 and 71 wars.

 

Cobras Draw First Blood - 10 Apr ,1959

The first PAF jet fighter to shoot down an enemy aircraft was F-86F Sabre No. 55-005 of No. 15 Squadron, the unit also known as the "Cobras". Flying this aircraft, Flight Lieutenant M Younis downed an Indian Air Force Canberra while it was on a photo reconnaissance mission high over the Rawalpindi area on 10 April 1959, an Eid day. Pilot officer Rab Nawaz was the Air Defence Controller on radar for this mission.

 

Bristol Freighter Maintenance Day - Aug, 1957

The silver Freighters with a blue fuselage line and green propeller spinners belonged to No. 12 VIP Squadron. The comouflaged Freighters with the red spinners flew with No. 6 Squadron, while the Transport Conversion Squadron had their spinners painted brown.

 

First Mach Deuce Fighter - 1962

In 1962, the PAF received its first F-104 Starfighter interceptor, a uniquely different design which could fly in excess of Mach-2 (twice the speed of sound ) and reach altitude in excess of 100,000 feet. This was the first Mach-2 fighter to go into squadrons service and was, understandably the envy of all those flying less capable aircraft. In the PAF it was received with justifiable pride as it was a very demanding aeroplane to operate, and its very possesion indicated the high esteem in which the PAf was held with regard to flying and engineering skills. The painting shows the first F-104 piloted by Squadron Leader Mian Sadruddin, landing at the Sargodha runway following behind as No. 2 is Flight Lieutenant M L Middlecoat.